Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Tuesday, May 19
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home»International

    Supreme Court allows Trump to implement Education Department layoffs

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefJuly 14, 2025 International No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday allowed the Trump administration to move ahead with plans to carry out mass layoffs at the Department of Education that were blocked by a federal judge.

    The conservative-majority court, without any explanation, granted an emergency application from the administration that blocks the federal judge’s ruling.

    The court’s three liberal members objected, with Justice Sonia Sotomayor writing a blistering dissenting opinion.

    “When the Executive publicly announces its intent to break the law, and then executes on that promise, it is the Judiciary’s duty to check that lawlessness, not expedite it,” she wrote.

    Follow live politics coverage here

    The court’s majority is “either willfully blind to the implications of its ruling or naive, but either way the threat to our Constitution’s separation of powers is grave,” Sotomayor added.

    She said the decision also “rewards clear defiance” of the Constitution.

    The case is a separate dispute to the one the Supreme Court decided last week when it allowed the Trump administration to move ahead with plans to conduct layoffs across a wide range of government agencies.

    In the Education Department case, Massachusetts-based U.S. District Judge Myong Joun wrote in his May 22 ruling that the evidence “reveals that the defendants’ true intention is to effectively dismantle the department without an authorizing statute.”

    The administration in its early months has sought to aggressively reduce the size of some government agencies to the point of making them ineffective, prompting claims that it has usurped the role of Congress, which set them up and funds them.

    Upon taking office earlier this year, President Donald Trump issued an executive order saying his administration would “take all necessary steps to facilitate the closure of the Department of Education.”

    Education Secretary Linda McMahon then ordered mass layoffs, saying in a memo circulated to employees that her ultimate goal was to “shut down the Department,” a move that has not been approved by Congress.

    Solicitor General D. John Sauer said in court papers that Joun’s ruling should be put on hold because it encroaches on the president’s authority to operate federal agencies.

    He also argued that the plaintiffs challenging the move, including states, school districts and employee unions, did not have legal standing to bring their claims.

    Sauer said the “reduction in force” plan involves 1,378 employees, adding that the government has been “crystal clear” that it is not part of an effort to eliminate the department altogether as some Republicans want.

    Only Congress can do that, Sauer acknowledged.

    In court papers, New York Attorney General Letitia James said the challengers had shown that Trump’s move was “arbitrary and capricious, contrary to law, and unconstitutional.”

    Among other things, the reduction in force “improperly eliminated or decimated teams that perform statutorily mandated tasks without considering, much less providing for, alternate mechanisms by which such duties can be satisfied,” she added.

    Furthermore, the policy “violates affirmative statutory restrictions on the Secretary’s authority to reallocate, consolidate, alter, or abolish statutory functions within the Department,” James said.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Are consumers cracking under the weight of inflation?

    Nancy Pelosi endorses Connie Chan in high-profile race to succeed her

    What we know about the 2026 Ebola outbreak as first American tests positive

    Prediction market ‘watchdog’ launches ad campaign ahead of Senate hearing

    Rep. Thomas Massie enters primary as a Trump target and the U.S. hantavirus ‘hot spots’: Morning Rundown

    Thousands attend prayer rally in Washington

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Build Your Own Commodore 64 Cartridge

    September 28, 2025

    Trump calls for Intel boss Lip-Bu Tan to resign over alleged China ties

    August 8, 2025

    What’s open on Christmas Day: Holiday hours for fast-food chains, grocery stores, CVS, and more

    December 25, 2025

    Millions Of Americans Delinquent On Student Loans

    March 20, 2025

    Former major league OF Terrance Gore dies at age 34

    February 7, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    Are consumers cracking under the weight of inflation?

    May 19, 2026

    Planatir To Control Britain’s Health Data

    May 19, 2026

    Jon Favreau Admits This ‘Star Wars’ Character Isn’t ‘Disney Cute’

    May 19, 2026

    StanChart to cut more than 7,000 jobs as bank steps up AI adoption

    May 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.