Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Stellantis U.S. auto sales extend free fall in third quarter

    Stellantis U.S. auto sales extend free fall in third quarter

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefOctober 2, 2024 International No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    DETROIT — Stellantis’ U.S. new vehicle sales continued a yearslong free fall during the third quarter, despite CEO Carlos Tavares’ attempts to correct what he has called “arrogant” mistakes.

    The trans-Atlantic carmaker reported U.S. sales Wednesday of 305,294 from July through September, a 19.8% decline from the third quarter of 2023 and an 11.5% decrease from the prior three months of this year.

    Stellantis was expected to be the worst sales performer of major automakers during the third quarter. Auto industry forecaster Cox Automotive had projected a sales decline of roughly 21% for the carmaker.

    Cox and fellow forecaster Edmunds expect third-quarter sales industrywide will be down roughly 2% compared with a year earlier.

    Still, Stellantis said its initiatives to boost sales and correct past mistakes are starting to pay off. The automaker cited a market share increase during the third quarter from 7.2% to 8% as well as an 11.6% reduction in its U.S. vehicle inventory.

    “We continue to take the necessary actions to drive sales and prepare our dealer network and consumers for the arrival of 2025 models,” Matt Thompson, Stellantis head of U.S. retail sales, said in a release.

    All of Stellantis’ brands except for its niche Fiat unit experienced sales declines in the third quarter, led by more than 40% reductions for Chrysler and Dodge. Its Ram truck brand recorded a roughly 19% fall, while Jeep was off about 6% year over year.

    Stellantis’ third-quarter sales are the latest problem this week for the carmaker, which cut its 2024 profit margin forecast and has been hit with a recall involving popular plug-in hybrid electric Jeep models due to fire risks.

    Shares of the company on the New York Stock Exchange are off 41% this year. The stock hit a new 52-week low Tuesday and closed at $13.71, falling 2.4% for the day.

    During a June investor event, Tavares said the company would correct “arrogant” mistakes made by himself and the company in the automaker’s U.S. operations that led to sales declines, bloated inventories and investor concerns.

    He said the convergence of three factors led to the problems: not selling down vehicle inventory fast enough; manufacturing issues, specifically with two unnamed plants; and a lack of “sophistication in the way to go to market.”

    U.S. sales for Stellantis, formerly Fiat Chrysler, have declined every year since a recent peak of 2.2 million in 2018. The company sold more than 1.5 million vehicles last year, a roughly 1% decline from 2022, when it reported a significant drop of 13% compared with the previous year.

    Stellantis’ performance compares with the overall U.S. new light-duty vehicle sales market, which increased 13% last year, according to federal data.

    Tavares has been on a profit-driven, cost-cutting mission since the company was formed through a merger between Fiat Chrysler and France’s PSA Groupe in January 2021.

    He has prioritized profits and vehicle pricing over market share, leading to heavy criticism from the United Auto Workers union and Stellantis’ U.S. franchised dealers.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Missing New York City grandmother found dead near airport in Las Vegas

    Battleground district voters share their message to Trump

    Eye drops sold nationwide recalled over possible contamination, FDA reports

    8 dead after charter flight goes down at radar site

    Navy discusses renaming aircraft carrier after Trump instead of heroic Black sailor

    Army unit offers reenlisting soldiers 4-day pass to play ‘Grand Theft Auto VI’

    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Editors Picks

    Why is black rain falling on Iran and how dangerous is it?

    March 9, 2026

    Kliff Kingsbury’s career decision is best move for all involved

    January 29, 2025

    49ers, QB Brock Purdy agree to massive extension, but is it the right move?

    May 16, 2025

    YouTube Children’s Host ‘Ms. Rachel’ Now Pushing Reparations for Slavery and Jim Crow * The Gateway Pundit * by Mike LaChance

    August 14, 2026

    Six people dead after alleged dynamite attack in Bolivia gold-mining clash | Mining News

    April 4, 2025
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    TikTok to pay $400m to US in one of largest child privacy settlements

    August 22, 2026

    Market Talk – August 21, 2026

    August 22, 2026

    Friday Evening Forecast | Headlines Plus

    August 22, 2026

    Inside the $37,000 Private Jet That Flew ‘Let’s Marry Harry’ to Vegas

    August 22, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.