Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Friday, February 20
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home»Latest News

    Senegal football federation denounces verdict in Morocco against fans | Africa Cup of Nations News

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefFebruary 20, 2026 Latest News No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Eighteen Senegal fans were detained following the AFCON final in Morocco on January 18 and were sentenced on Thursday.

    Published On 20 Feb 202620 Feb 2026

    Share

    The Senegalese Football Federation denounced the sentencing of 18 Senegalese football fans in Morocco on charges of hooliganism in last month’s Africa Cup of Nations final as “incomprehensibly harsh” on Friday.

    The group, sentenced Thursday to prison terms ranging from three to 12 months, had been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final in which Morocco lost to Senegal 1-0 on home turf.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    Towards the end of the match, some Senegalese supporters attempted a pitch invasion, while Senegal’s players halted the game for nearly 20 minutes to protest against a late penalty awarded to Morocco.

    Some fans were also seen throwing objects onto the field, including a chair.

    The defendants were prosecuted in Rabat for “hooliganism” charges that included acts of violence, particularly against law enforcement, damage to sports equipment, pitch invasion and throwing projectiles.

    “We express our profound dismay and distress following the verdict” Bacary Cisse, president of the FSF’s communications committee, told the AFP news agency.

    “This incomprehensibly harsh decision has provoked widespread outrage,” he added.

    Nine supporters were sentenced to one year in prison and fined 5,000 dirhams ($545), six others received six months and a fine of 2,000 dirhams ($218) and three were sentenced to three months with a fine of 1,000 dirhams ($109).

    “Clashes occur in numerous stadiums around the world, including every weekend in Morocco, without resulting in such sanctions,” Cisse said. “The treatment of these supporters therefore appears disproportionate.”

    Defence lawyer Patrick Kabou described the verdict on Thursday as “incomprehensible”, saying his clients were “victims”.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Can Trump still impose tariffs after the Supreme Court ruling? | Donald Trump News

    FIFA and Peace Board pledge to help Gaza reconstruction through football | Football News

    Three aid workers killed, 4 wounded in RSF drone attack in Sudan’s Kordofan | Sudan war News

    Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,457 | Russia-Ukraine war News

    US trade deficit swells in December as imports surge | Trade War News

    Trump suggests Iran has 10 days to reach agreement with US | Donald Trump News

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    The Musketeers Take Washington + Spotify’s Ghost Music + Tool Time

    February 9, 2025

    What is happening to US and South Korea’s relations? | TV Shows

    September 7, 2025

    Microwaves seem to experience imaginary time – and now we know how

    June 14, 2025

    In UN duel with Europe, US wants Security Council vote on Ukraine

    February 22, 2025

    New Poll Shines Important Light On The Deep State Rising In The Second Trump Admin

    April 24, 2025
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    Commentary: Trump’s diplomatic blitz exposes a misunderstanding of peacemaking

    February 20, 2026

    Can Trump still impose tariffs after the Supreme Court ruling? | Donald Trump News

    February 20, 2026

    Vikings’ Justin Jefferson has two words to describe J.J. McCarthy

    February 20, 2026

    Opinion | The Save America Act Is an Assault on Democracy

    February 20, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.