Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Monday, May 18
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home»Technology

    Google suggests fixes to search monopoly amid antitrust battle

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefDecember 21, 2024 Technology No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Alphabet’s Google proposed new limits to revenue-sharing agreements with companies including Apple which make Google’s search engine the default on their devices and browsers.

    The suggestions stem from the US search giant’s ongoing antitrust battle over its online search business.

    In August, US District Judge Amit Mehta ruled that Google illegally crushed its competition in search – a decision the company vowed to appeal.

    In a legal filing submitted Friday, Google said it should be allowed to continue entering into those contracts with other companies while widening the options it offers.

    These options include allowing different default search engines to be assigned to different platforms and browsing modes.

    Google’s suggested remedies also call for the ability for partners to change their default search provider at least every 12 months.

    The proposals stand in stark contrast to the sweeping remedies suggested last month by the US Department of Justice (DOJ), which recommended that Judge Mehta force the firm to stop entering into revenue-sharing contracts.

    DOJ lawyers also demanded that Google sell Chrome, the world’s most popular web browser.

    Google’s search engine accounts for about 90% of all online searches globally, according to web traffic analysis platform Statcounter.

    In a statement, Google called DOJ’s remedies “overbroad” and said even its own counterproposals, which were filed in response to a court-mandated deadline, would come at a cost to their partners.

    Judge Mehta is expected to issue a decision in the remedies phase of the landmark case by August, after a trial.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Peter G. Neumann, Who Warned of Computer Security Risks, Dies at 93

    Lost Images From the 1945 Trinity Nuclear Test Restored

    Testing for Coexistence in Crowded and Contested RF Environments

    OpenAI Trial Heads to Jury After Closing Arguments in Musk vs. Altman Case

    IEEE Society ‘s Pitch Sessions Link Lab With Market

    Accelerating Chipmaking Innovation for the Energy-Efficient AI Era

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Majority Of Americans Want Voter ID Laws

    February 2, 2026

    Chicago Bears To Leave Illinois? Blue State Exodus

    February 23, 2026

    Bulgaria wins Eurovision for first time; Israel comes second amid boycott | Music News

    May 17, 2026

    Alabama sends North Carolina to third straight loss

    December 5, 2024

    US, Canada to meet in coming weeks on trade, USTR says

    February 25, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    America’s Sovereign Debt Crisis Has Already Begun

    May 18, 2026

    ‘SNL’ Veteran Calls Out Elon Musk Over Lupita Remarks

    May 18, 2026

    Nigeria, US carry out new strikes on Islamic State in Nigeria

    May 18, 2026

    US military carries out more strikes against ISIL fighters in Nigeria | ISIL/ISIS News

    May 18, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.