Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Thursday, May 21
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home»Trending News

    Industry veteran Teo Siong Seng among seven shipping execs accused of price-fixing in the US

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefMay 21, 2026 Trending News No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    SINGAPORE: Shipping executive Teo Siong Seng is among seven executives of shipping container manufacturing companies that have been accused by the United States of conspiring to restrict the output and fix the prices of dry containers.

    The price-fixing of nearly all the world’s standard dry – or unrefrigerated – containers went on for over four years, spanning as early as November 2019 to at least January 2024, the US Justice Department said in a press release on Tuesday (May 19).

    “The multi-year conspiracy roughly doubled the prices of standard shipping containers between 2019 and 2021, increasing the container manufacturers’ profits approximately one hundredfold during the COVID-19 pandemic and global supply chain crisis,” it said.

    Mr Teo is employed by Singamas Container Holdings as its CEO and chairman, a publicly traded company in Hong Kong. Singamas is a listed subsidiary of Pacific International Lines, of which Mr Teo is executive chairman.

    Mr Teo is also the chairman of the Singapore Business Federation (SBF). As SBF chairman, he is part of the Singapore Economic Resilience Taskforce.

    He is one of six executive co-defendants linked to Singamas’ marketing director Vick Nam Hing Ma, who was arrested in France on Apr 14. His extradition to the US is pending.

    Following Ma’s arrest, the executives and the companies they worked at were charged for conspiring to restrict the output of – and fix the price of – nearly all the world’s dry containers.

    “The intermodal containers … carry billions of dollars of goods across the oceans to American households each year,” said the Justice Department.

    Mr Teo, along with five other co-defendants, is currently at large, according to the Justice Department.

    SINGAMAS ENGAGES LEGAL ADVISERS

    In a filing on the Hong Kong exchange on Wednesday, Singamas said neither the company nor Mr Teo had been served with “any legal process or other legal documentation” by the US Justice Department.

    It added that it has engaged external legal advisers. In the meantime, all business operations and day-to-day activities will remain normal.

    Singamas also requested a one-day trading halt from Wednesday afternoon to 9am on Thursday.

    Singamas’ shares plunged by more than 15 per cent on Thursday morning before paring back some losses later in the day.

    CIMC said on Wednesday that it “attaches great importance to the matter and will closely monitor and respond proactively”.

    The company said that it had not yet been served any legal documentation by the US Justice Department.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Supreme Leader says enriched uranium must stay in Iran, Iranian sources say

    Laser hair removal device sparks Australia airport evacuation

    Trump says willing to wait for a few days to get ‘right answer’ on Iran peace deal

    Israeli minister sparks outcry over video of bound flotilla activists

    Don’t fight AI, HSBC CEO tells staff members as banks begin job cuts

    CNA Explains: Why a rare Ebola strain is causing concern and raising vigilance around the world

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Chaebols And Youth Unemployment In South Korea

    October 6, 2025

    NASA hasn’t found life on Mars yet – but signs are promising

    September 14, 2025

    Gypsy Rose Blanchard Channels Taylor Swift With Chic New Outfit

    October 27, 2024

    Robot Videos: Multimode Drone, Humanoid Robots, More

    November 8, 2025

    Verónica Abad: A Fight for Democracy in the Face of Political Siege

    December 30, 2024
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    DNC releases 2024 autopsy, with chair apologizing for ‘creating an even bigger distraction’

    May 21, 2026

    SEM-guided low-kV FIB finishing for leading-edge semiconductor failure analysis

    May 21, 2026

    More Evidence Skilled Labor Is Rising In Value

    May 21, 2026

    Andy Dick Shares Sobriety Update Following Overdose

    May 21, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.