Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Wednesday, August 19
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months

    WHO says Congo Ebola outbreak can still be brought under control within three months

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefAugust 18, 2026 Trending News No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    GENEVA: A World Health Organization official said on Tuesday (Aug 18) it was still possible to bring under control an Ebola outbreak that is outpacing containment efforts and has become the second-deadliest on record.

    The global health agency said earlier this month that reversing Ebola’s spread would be possible within a three-month period, but since then there have been signs that it has worsened, expanding to a sixth province.

    “About the next plan for the three months, yes, if you have the necessary resources, I think it will be possible to do that,” Thierno Balde, WHO incident manager, told reporters in Geneva from Bunia, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    The outbreak, Congo’s worst yet of 17, has so far killed at least 2,325 people.

    Resources are currently lagging requirements, and the WHO has raised about 60 per cent of the US$115 million it is seeking for the Ebola response.

    Other challenges include delayed detection, overwhelmed surveillance teams, armed conflict and a lack of vaccines and treatments for the rare Bundibugyo species of the virus.

    Still, containment efforts are ramping up and an extra 400 beds have been added in the past two weeks and more epidemiologists will be deployed to trace contacts of the sick, Balde said.

    “The situation is quite difficult, but people are working here day and night trying to control this outbreak,” he told reporters.

    Other leading officials told Reuters that the outbreak was a long way from being under control, pointing out that between 70 per cent to 80 per cent of new cases have no known link to patients, meaning the virus is still spreading unchecked in many areas.

    “We are far from discovering the magnitude of this outbreak,” said Dr Wessam Mankoula, Africa CDC’s head of emergency preparedness and response.

    “It will not be over in a few weeks or even months,” he said.

    The WHO Emergency Committee meets on Tuesday on Ebola, which was deemed a public health emergency of international concern, or PHEIC, by the UN agency on May 17. The body will decide whether to extend the emergency and give states recommendations for controlling its spread.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Israeli military launches criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Palestinian paramedics

    Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military

    Trump says US and Canada strike deal, temporarily pauses 50% tariffs

    Commentary: For Iran’s new leaders, peace is more dangerous than war

    US stocks drop again as bond yields jump

    Asian allies stress ‘critical cooperation’ as Trump slashes South Korea drills

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Mathematicians still don’t know the fastest way to multiply numbers

    July 13, 2026

    Global map reveals the vast scale of underground fungal networks

    June 11, 2026

    The ‘Most 20-passing-TD NFL seasons’ quiz

    December 11, 2025

    Drake claims UMG ‘artificially inflated’ Kendrick Lamar’s ‘Not Like Us’ numbers on Spotify

    November 26, 2024

    A wedding videographer’s encouraging words are being praised by brides across TikTok

    April 16, 2025
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    OpenAI slows down training of advanced AI after cyber-attack

    August 19, 2026

    South Korea Wants Military Independence — Good, Let Them Pay For It

    August 19, 2026

    Lucille Ball’s 1943 Classic Debuted 83 Years Ago

    August 19, 2026

    Marc Jacobs Wants To Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione For Trial

    August 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.