Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Saturday, May 23
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home»Trending News

    Australia warns of downpours after flash flood swept cars into the sea; bushfires rage in Victoria

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefJanuary 16, 2026 Trending News No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    SYDNEY: Australia’s emergency services warned people on Friday (Jan 16) to stay prepared for sudden downpours and dangerous bushfires in the country’s east after a flash flood swept cars into the sea.

    Heavy rains on Thursday sent a deluge of water flowing through some parts of the eastern state of Victoria, which is still battling 10 major bushfires.

    Photo and video images in local media showed one car rolling around in muddy waters as it was carried along the Wye River southwest of Melbourne.

    Two cars were still partially submerged under the ocean waves on Friday, a few steps from the sandy coastline.

    A local record of 186mm (more than seven inches) fell in the 24 hours to Friday morning in one spot, the state meteorology service said.

    Most of that water fell on Thursday.

    “We’ve seen severe-to-extreme heat wave, catastrophic bushfires and now extreme flash flooding in the southwest of the state,” Emergency Management Commissioner Tim Wiebusch told reporters.

    “It really is a timely reminder that communities need to be prepared for all types of emergencies.”

    The flash flood cut off the state’s Great Ocean Road and forced up to 300 people to flee, officials said. 

    Many of them were reportedly holidaying at caravan camps. 

    One child was injured and airlifted to hospital.

    “It was raining, we were all in the tent playing cards with the gang, then we heard shouting,” camper Matthew Stanhope told The Age newspaper, saying he and his friends ran to a nearby hill.

    “It was lightning fast and quiet too. There’s no noise, just all of a sudden the water is up.”

    Flood risks have since eased in the state.

    Victoria declared a state of disaster on Jan 10 after days of battling bushfires that have razed homes and killed one person north of Melbourne.

    Emergency services said the fires have so far destroyed 289 homes and damaged another 18, as well as hundreds of outbuildings.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    France bans Israeli National Security Minister Ben Gvir from country

    Commentary: From Iran to Ukraine, lasting ceasefires remain elusive

    US Secretary of State Rubio starts first visit to India on heels of US-China summit

    Carney says Alberta ‘essential’ to Canada as separatist push advances

    Putin accuses Ukraine of deadly attack on student dorm, orders military to prepare options

    EU moves to sanction Iran over Hormuz blockade

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent: Blue Collar Wage Growth Already Happening Under Trump, Just Like in His First Term (VIDEO) | The Gateway Pundit

    June 19, 2025

    A leading use for quantum computers might not need them after all

    January 18, 2026

    Electric vehicles: New options are appreciated

    May 17, 2025

    Victor Reacts: Another Woman Victimized By an Illegal Alien (VIDEO) | The Gateway Pundit

    January 1, 2025

    As many CEOs call employees back to the office, this CEO is bucking the trend and embracing remote work

    October 6, 2025
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    From solar to charcoal, Cubans look for alternatives amid outages and fuel shortages

    May 23, 2026

    Mike White Teases Two ‘White Lotus’ Cameos

    May 23, 2026

    France bans Israeli National Security Minister Ben Gvir from country

    May 23, 2026

    Five police officers, 13 year-old boy killed in Israeli attack on Gaza | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    May 23, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.