Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Canadian prime minister suspends trade talks with U.S., setting new 50% tariffs in motion

    Canadian prime minister suspends trade talks with U.S., setting new 50% tariffs in motion

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefAugust 22, 2026 International No Comments6 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Trade talks with Canada collapsed late Friday night, setting in motion steep 50% tariffs on a wide swath of Canadian goods. The duties went into effect at the stroke of midnight.

    After weeks of talks, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that while important progress had been made, “that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians.”

    “As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa,” Carney said in an emailed statement minutes before the deadline.

    The tariffs impact about $20 billion worth of U.S. imports from Canada, according to the U.S. Trade Representative’s office. The import taxes will hit everything from hockey sticks, to some building materials, liquors and certain kinds of clothing.

    Carney says Canada will immediately retaliate against the U.S. “Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” he said.

    The failure by American and Canadian trade negotiators to reach a deal came after nearly two weeks of furious talks. It was also a dramatic reversal from Tuesday, when Trump paused the tariffs for three days, writing on social media that the two sides “have a DEAL!”

    Officials on both sides had seemed optimistic about a deal up until the very last moment. On Thursday, the Canadian minister responsible for U.S. trade relations met with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer for several hours.

    “We’re very close, we continue to make progress and we’re going to stay here and do the work that is necessary until we get to that point,” Dominic LeBlanc told reporters as he left Greer’s office late Thursday.

    Canadian negotiators met again with their U.S. counterparts on Friday and talks stretched until the final hours of the day. Officials remained at the U.S. Trade Representative’s office past 10:30pm E.T. Friday. But ultimately, the two sides were unable to reach a compromise.

    In his statement, Carney said “last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”

    “We have recognised from the beginning that America has changed, and that we will not return to our old relationship,” Carney said. “Canada has what the world wants. And we will not allow any nation to determine our future.”

    Greer said in a statement early Saturday that Canada “declined to finalize the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week.”

    “Despite the U.S. offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,” he said.

    Greer said that a point of contention was Canada continuing to maintain its retaliation against the United States “including, among other things, flat-out prohibitions on certain American goods and services.” Those bans, introduced by Canada’s provinces on the sale of American alcohol, were introduced in 2025 in retaliation for earlier waves of Trump’s tariffs on Canada.

    As talks wore on this week, the government of Carney faced some pushback from premiers of Canada’s provinces back home.

    Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said the Canadian federal government should “fight” Trump.

    A particular sticking point was a request from Carney to the provincial premiers to lift their bans on American alcohol sales.

    Quebec premier Christine Fréchette said Thursday that she was still “analyzing” the request, CBC reported. Other premiers, such as Ontario’s Doug Ford — who leads the country’s most populous region — did not make any public remarks on Thursday or earlier Friday.

    However, Ford wrote on X after Carney’s announcement, “The prime minister has my full support for a strong response—tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar.” Ford said Canada “needs to stand together more united than ever before.”

    The prime minister had previously said Trump’s threatened tariffs would amount to a “direct violation” of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, which Trump had negotiated and signed during his first term.

    The U.S. Chamber of Commerce warned in a statement this week that “higher tariffs would damage both economies, drive up costs for U.S. families, further disrupt critical supply chains, and risk the 13 million American jobs that depend on” the North American trade pact.

    After Carney’s announcement on Friday, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, seemed to agree, calling it “a body blow to North American competitiveness in this self-defeating trade saga.”

    “Americans will see their costs go up, and Canadians will see customers, investment and small businesses disappear,” said Candace Laing, president & CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.

    The new tariffs were imposed under presidential authority granted by Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, which has never been deployed before.

    The law allows the White House to implement duties of up to 50% on any foreign trade partner that “discriminates” against U.S. commerce.

    Nonetheless, the new Canada tariffs are all but certain to be challenged in court.

    Canadian officials had been hoping to convince the White House to drop the Section 338 tariffs entirely. In addition to that goal, they had also been looking for a lower tariff rate on industrial products such as steel and aluminum that were imposed under Section 232 of the Trade Act, CBC News and Bloomberg have reported.

    On Wednesday, Bloomberg reported that American negotiators had agreed to lower the current tariffs on cars and metals from 25% to 15%.

    In his statement early Saturday, Greer said that the U.S. had offered “significant tariff reductions on steel, aluminum, autos, and lumber,” without providing specifics. “This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States,” he said.

    Spokespeople for Canadian officials involved in the talks have repeatedly declined to provide additional details about the negotiations to NBC News.

    But Greer previously said that the new 50% duties on Canada were effectively payback for Ottawa’s retaliation against prior tranches of Trump’s tariffs.

    “The policy basis for those duties are related to measures that Canada took against the United States,” Greer said last week. “So I’ve got two countries in the world that have retaliated against the United States for trade measures: the People’s Republic of China and Canada. That’s not the kind of company you really want to be running in.”

    Last year, Trump briefly responded to China’s retaliation by raising tariffs into the triple digits. Talks between Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and China’s vice premier over months eventually diffused the tensions and tariffs were lowered.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Actor Michael Wright, known for ‘The Five Heartbeats,’ dies at 70

    U.S. and Canada trade war intensifies with new tariffs

    Bills tackle Ed Oliver’s son has died, team announces

    GOP lawmakers criticize Trump’s beef import plan amid blowback from ranchers

    Pretend I’m on the ballot

    Missing New York City grandmother found dead near airport in Las Vegas

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    How to Build a Business That Thrives in Tough Economic Times

    September 12, 2025

    Is The Deep State Killing AfD Candidates? WHY?

    September 5, 2025

    Elon Musk’s Starlink Expands Across White House Complex

    March 18, 2025

    10 Traits of Successful Entrepreneurs That Investors Love

    December 9, 2024

    Faecal transplant makes the brains of old mice act young again

    June 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    The Future Of Crude & The Fate Of The World

    August 23, 2026

    Massachusetts Gaming Commission Probes Cardinals Executive

    August 23, 2026

    Ben Affleck Praised For Snubbing Bill Maher After Show Feud

    August 23, 2026

    Australia confirms first H5N1 bird flu case in local mammal

    August 23, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.