Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Wednesday, May 20
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home»Technology

    Judge Denies Musk’s Request to Block OpenAI’s For-Profit Plan

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefMarch 5, 2025 Technology No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    In November, Elon Musk asked a federal court to block OpenAI’s plan to transform itself from a nonprofit into a purely for-profit company.

    On Tuesday, a federal judge in San Francisco denied Mr. Musk’s request, calling it “extraordinary.” But the court allowed Mr. Musk to proceed with other aspects of a lawsuit he filed last year against OpenAI and its chief executive, Sam Altman.

    Mr. Musk helped create OpenAI as a nonprofit in 2015, along with Mr. Altman and others. In 2018, Mr. Musk left the organization after a battle for control of the company. Mr. Altman then attached OpenAI to a for-profit company so he could raise the billions of dollars needed to build artificial intelligence technologies.

    But the nonprofit retained control of the company. Last year, Mr. Altman and his company began working on a plan to shift control of the company from the nonprofit to OpenAI’s investors as a for-profit company.

    Soon after, Mr. Musk filed a lawsuit against OpenAI and Mr. Altman, claiming they had breached the company’s founding contract by putting commercial interests ahead of the public good.

    Later, Mr. Musk expanded the complaint to include claims that OpenAI had violated antitrust laws by asking investors to agree not to invest in rival companies, including Mr. Musk’s new artificial intelligence company, xAI.

    “We welcome the court’s decision,” Lindsey Held, an OpenAI spokeswoman, said in a statement. “Elon’s own emails show that he wanted to merge a for-profit OpenAI into Tesla. That would have been great for his personal benefit, but not for our mission or U.S. interests.”

    Earlier this year, Mr. Musk and a consortium of investors escalated his longstanding feud with Mr. Altman by offering to buy the assets of the nonprofit that controls OpenAI for more than $97 billion. OpenAI’s board of directors later rejected the bid.

    But the bid could still complicate Mr. Altman’s efforts to separate the company from the nonprofit board and raise the billions of dollars that OpenAI needs to build new technologies.

    “We’re pleased the court has offered an expedited trial on the core claims driving this case, which in its words present ‘urgent’ issues in the public’s interest,” Marc Toberoff, the lawyer representing Mr. Musk, said in a statement to The New York Times.

    (The New York Times has sued OpenAI and its partner, Microsoft, accusing them of copyright infringement regarding news content related to A.I. systems. OpenAI and Microsoft have denied those claims.)



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Tech Life – Myth or Mythos – is the AI cyber threat real?

    A New Framework Guiding Dull Dirty Dangerous Robots

    Manchester Code Named IEEE Milestone

    How Melbourne’s AI and Data Center Flywheel Is Accelerating Research Innovation

    Peter G. Neumann, Who Warned of Computer Security Risks, Dies at 93

    Lost Images From the 1945 Trinity Nuclear Test Restored

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Adhesive made from wood works in a standard glue gun

    June 4, 2025

    FDA Clarifies Medical Device Rules

    February 13, 2026

    Russian use of chemical weapons against Ukraine ‘widespread’, Dutch defence minister says

    July 4, 2025

    UN seeks independent probe into deadly Kabul clinic strike

    March 17, 2026

    The world is losing major ground in the fight against measles

    July 18, 2025
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    School board member who hugged teen and called her ‘hot’ is charged with assault

    May 20, 2026

    Selena Gomez Takes Risky New Hollywood Turn

    May 20, 2026

    Trump purges another Republican critic with Massie defeat in Kentucky

    May 20, 2026

    US President Trump and family given immunity from pending tax audits | Donald Trump News

    May 20, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.