Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Sunday, August 23
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people | Weather News

    Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people | Weather News

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefAugust 23, 2026 Latest News No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    DEVELOPING STORYDEVELOPING STORY,

    Heavy rains wash over the site, triggering a landslide that buries several shacks.

    Published On 23 Aug 202623 Aug 2026

    A mountainous heap of refuse has collapsed at the largest landfill in Guinea’s capital, Conakry, killing at least 30 people, according to a goverment statement.

    Six others were also seriously injured after heavy rains in the Bbessia district’s Dar-es-salam neighbourhood triggered a landslide at the landfill around 3 am (15:00 GMT) on Sunday, which buried nearby shacks.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    “Significant material and human resources have been deployed to search for any people who may still be buried, to rescue the victims and to recover the bodies,” the government said in the statement.

    Prime Minister Amadou Oury Bah visited the site of the deadly accident, as excavators took part in a search-and-rescue operation through the collapsed landfill under the gaze of a crowd of onlookers.

    Measures have been taken “to ensure medical care for the wounded” and “assistance for those affected by this tragedy”, the government statement said.

    The site was designated for closure on Sunday, according to Lieutenant Colonel Balde Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer for the Military Engineering Battalion.

    Lancine Sylla, the head of the Dar-es-Salaam suburb, where the incident occurred, said he feared a high death toll. “We have pulled out 18 bodies that were taken to the morgue,” he told the AFP news agency.

    One of Guinea’s main opposition figures, former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, who is in exile abroad, called the accident “a tragedy that plunges us into dismay”.

    “This tragedy is all the more worrying because the closure of the dump had been announced for this Sunday, August 23,” he said on Facebook.

    “It is now up to the competent authorities to establish, with full transparency, the circumstances that led to this disaster and to draw all the necessary conclusions,” he added in the statement posted before the release of the death toll.

    The government recently has ordered the expulsion of people near the landfill and safety measures around the site because of a fear of collapses.

    Guinea is led by General Mamadi Doumbouya, who came to power in a coup in 2021 before being elected president in December 2025.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Zelenskyy says wartime elections could ‘destroy’ Ukraine | Russia-Ukraine war News

    Kazakhstan holds parliamentary election expected to cement president’s grip | Elections News

    Canada to hit US with retaliatory tariffs as trade war escalates | News

    Israeli army and settlers injure several Palestinians across West Bank | Israel-Palestine conflict News

    Elche vs Barcelona: La Liga – prediction, team news, lineups | Football News

    Usain Bolt’s 100m record broken at World Humanoid Robot Games | Athletics News

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Trump says Putin ready to make deal on Ukraine, US hopes to include Zelenskyy

    August 14, 2025

    Cloudflare apologises for outage which took down X and ChatGPT

    November 22, 2025

    Security credentials inadvertently leaked on thousands of websites

    March 23, 2026

    Why global warming is accelerating and what it means for the future

    March 17, 2026

    PowerLattice Voltage Regulator Boosts AI Energy Efficiency

    December 15, 2025
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    Balaji Ingole Develops AI Tools for E-Commerce Sites

    August 23, 2026

    East Side Little League Takes the Field Today

    August 23, 2026

    Ben Affleck Blamed for Strain on Jennifer Garner Romance

    August 23, 2026

    Iran says new sanctions threatened by ‘desperate’ US will fail

    August 23, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.