Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Wednesday, August 19
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Minnesota state House Democrats walk out in effort to block GOP speaker vote

    Minnesota state House Democrats walk out in effort to block GOP speaker vote

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefJanuary 14, 2025 International No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Minnesota’s Democratic state representatives walked out Tuesday, failing to show up for the first day of the legislative session to deny the state House a quorum amid a fight over how to manage a chamber that’s set to be equally divided.

    After Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon, who control’s the chamber’s gavel between sessions, adjourned the state House and said there was no quorum, state House Republicans nonetheless moved to convene a legally questionable session in a half-empty chamber and elect a new speaker.

    The 67 Republican members present voted unanimously to elect state Rep. Lisa Demuth as speaker, though the designation is set to be challenged in court.

    State Rep. Melissa Hortman, Democrats’ speaker-designate, condemned the proceedings before they even began, saying she expected a “kangaroo court” and a “sham” proceeding, noting Democrats would go to court to try and block them from conducting business.

    “We have to accept election results even when we don’t like them. And Republicans want to do this kind of crazy revisionist version where they just throw out election results if they don’t like them, and we can’t let them trample over our democracy in that way,” Hortman said ahead of the session.

    Voters elected 67 Democrats and 67 Republicans to the state House in November, and lawmakers began to craft a power-sharing agreement for the tied chamber, which requires a quorum of 68 to conduct business. But after a residency challenge knocked one Democrat out of office — forcing a special election for Jan. 28 — and an incident of tossed absentee ballots called into question another’s victory, Republicans said they planned to take control of the body.

    “It is no longer a tie — someone broke the law. The court ruled that he could not take office. I think my Democrat colleagues are frustrated with that reality,” Demuth said in an interview on Monday night.

    By failing to show up, Democrats are keeping Republicans from electing a state House speaker and appointing committee heads without all their expected members present. The Democratic caucus plans to stay away from the Capitol until after the special election in late January, when another Democrat is expected to be elected giving them more power in the House.

    “At noon, we will have a total body membership of 133 members that are eligible to take the oath of office, 68 is usually a quorum, but under these circumstances, the way that we are looking at it is members that are eligible to take the oath of office is 133 so that would give us a 67-member quorum,” Demuth said.

    Simon, the secretary of state, made it clear he disagreed.

    “If there are not 68 members present, I have no authority to take any further action and will adjourn,” Simon said in a letter to leadership last week. He promptly adjourned the session after taking the roll call and finding just 67 members on Tuesday.

    The walkout comes after negotiations between the parties, which ran late Monday and into Tuesday morning, failed. Democrats argue that the open seat set for a special election is in a safe Democratic seat, maintaining the legislative tie, while Republicans insist nothing is set in stone.

    National Democrats have responded in kind, with the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee announcing a $100,000 investment into the party caucus to support them broadly and the candidate, David Gottfried, who is running in a seat a Democratic candidate won in November by 30 points.

    Then there are the issues surrounding state Rep. Brad Tabke, whose win in November was called into question when election officials discovered they’d accidentally thrown out 21 absentee ballots without counting them.

    Tabke won by 14 votes in initial tallies. After investigating the thrown-out ballots, a state court upheld Tabke’s win on Tuesday, citing testimony from enough voters whose ballots had been thrown out who said under oath they’d voted for Tabke.

    But Minnesota law dictates that the state House of Representatives determines Tabke’s eligibility, meaning a Republican majority could force another election for the seat.

    In a statement Tuesday, Hortman said Democrats “have no other recourse” than to deny a quorum until the special election restores the 67-67 balance.

    “Democrats are united in our will to fight Republican efforts to kick Representative Brad Tabke out of the Minnesota House. We cannot allow Republicans to engage in this unprecedented abuse of power, and will use every tool at our disposal to block it,” she said.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    GOP Sen. Dan Sullivan and Democrat Mary Peltola advance to battleground Senate election in Alaska

    Trump-backed Rep. Harriet Hageman wins Republican Senate primary in Wyoming

    NASA spots crater on the moon created by SpaceX rocket crash

    Levoit Self-Emptying Vacuum is 40% Off: Deal of the Day

    Penn State Frat Brothers Charged With Running Cocaine Ring

    San Diego Padres catching coordinator Oswaldo Pirela detained by ICE in Texas

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Germany’s Productive Class Is Looking For The Exit

    July 24, 2026

    Organic treatment of cellulite and stretch marks for smooth skin

    April 25, 2025

    Pete Hegseth narrowly wins confirmation to become US defence secretary

    January 25, 2025

    Brad Pitt ‘Desperate’ To Reunite With His Twins Amid Angelina Jolie Legal Battle

    July 11, 2025

    The ‘2024 NFL quarterback draft class’ quiz

    December 24, 2024
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    Tech Life – Can AI tackle aviation’s climate problem?

    August 19, 2026

    Extra Welfare For Britain’s Polygamist Migrants

    August 19, 2026

    Peltola and Sullivan Advance in Alaska Senate Primary

    August 19, 2026

    Elsie Hewitt Reminded Pete Davidson ‘Fumbled’ After Shout-Out

    August 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.