Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Wednesday, August 19
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Ofcom fines deepfake nudification site for lack of age checks

    Ofcom fines deepfake nudification site for lack of age checks

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefNovember 20, 2025 Technology No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    The operator of a so-called “nudification” site has been fined for failing to put in age verification measures, which are required under online safety laws.

    The regulator Ofcom investigated Itai Tech Ltd, which provides AI tools allowing users to edit images to seemingly remove someone’s clothing.

    On Thursday, Ofcom said it had fined the company £50,000 for its age check failings, plus an additional £5,000 for not responding to its information requests.

    BBC News has contacted Itai Tech Ltd for comment.

    The nudity website it runs is currently not accessible from a UK IP address., and documents on Companies House show Itai Tech Ltd recently applied to strike itself off the UK register of companies.

    Ofcom said its fine accounted for the company’s decision to make its site unavailable to UK users, which it said occurred shortly after the investigation started in May.

    “The use of highly effective age assurance to protect children from harmful pornographic content is non-negotiable and we will accept no excuses for failure,” said Suzanne Cater, director of enforcement at Ofcom.

    “Any service which fails to meet their age-check duties under the Online Safety Act can expect to face robust enforcement action, including significant fines.”

    This is the regulator’s second fine imposed under the law – which requires pornographic websites to verify users are over 18.

    Its first fine was to online message board 4chan, which it said had not responded to requests for information about measures required to prevent people from accessing illegal content.

    Ofcom had set a deadline of 13 November to pay the £20,000 fine.

    But a lawyer for the US-based company previously told the BBC it had no intention of paying, accusing the regulator of overreach and censorship.

    If companies do not pay up, the regulator can seek to recover fines through legal action, or apply for court orders to instruct internet providers to limit access to the site.

    Since 25 July, sites hosting age-restricted content have to have “highly effective age assurance” methods in place to make sure children cannot access them.

    These include age verification tools such as facial age estimation, which must be “robust” in deducing whether a user is over 18.

    Ofcom has also opened new investigations into 20 further porn sites – bringing the number of sites and apps it is investigating for suspected Online Safety Act breaches to 76.

    Meanwhile, recent reports suggest the government may look to ban so-called “nudifying” or “declothing” apps as part of further efforts to tackle deepfake intimate image abuse.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    81,000 warning letters sent to crypto holders in HMRC tax crackdown

    OpenAI slows down training of advanced AI after cyber-attack

    Tech Life – Can AI tackle aviation’s climate problem?

    The critical tech staying safe by going underground

    Meta hooked children on Facebook and Instagram, court hears

    AI to help planes avoid climate-warming contrails above North Atlantic

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    What is Zelenskyy’s ‘Victory Plan’ against Russia? | Russia-Ukraine war News

    September 27, 2024

    Trump’s policy to deport activists is unconstitutional, Khalil’s lawyers say

    March 14, 2025

    Insider Details Will & Jada Pinkett-Smith’s Mood At Fashion Week

    January 27, 2026

    ‘Mormon Wives’ Taylor Frankie Paul’s Scandal Resurfaces

    November 26, 2024

    India’s Zee Entertainment signs World Cup 2026 broadcast deal with FIFA | World Cup 2026 News

    June 2, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    81,000 warning letters sent to crypto holders in HMRC tax crackdown

    August 19, 2026

    The Bond Crisis | Armstrong Economics

    August 19, 2026

    Xos Inc Stock Surges 69% in Pre-Market Trading

    August 19, 2026

    Ayla Bell Admits Why She Dodges an Awkward Job Question

    August 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.