Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Virgin Media fined £24m for leaving vulnerable customers ‘at risk of harm’

    Virgin Media fined £24m for leaving vulnerable customers ‘at risk of harm’

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefDecember 1, 2025 Technology No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Archie MitchellBusiness reporter

    Getty Images A white Virgin Media O2 van with red and yellow high-visibility stripes on the back as well as the company's red and blue logo. Getty Images

    Virgin Media has been fined £23.8m for leaving thousands of customers without access to lifesaving telecare alarms during the digital switchover.

    Communications watchdog Ofcom fined the telecoms giant after ruling it failed to protect vulnerable users of the devices, typically elderly and disabled people, during the transition from analogue to digital.

    The industry is currently changing landline services from analogue to digital, with Ofcom describing the copper-based network as “beyond its intended lifespan and increasingly unreliable”.

    Virgin Media said it had not got everything right in the transition but added it has launched “a comprehensive package of improvements” for customers.

    Ofcom has raised concerns about telecare users being left disconnected during the transition, warning “any disruption to their device’s connection could have material impacts on their safety”.

    Telecare systems typically work by having an emergency button which automatically calls the emergency services or carers when pressed via a user’s landline.

    The regulator’s investigation found during its digital switchover, Virgin Media failed to properly identify telecare customers, leaving those affected without proper support.

    The company’s approach meant thousands were left with devices which were not connected to alarm monitoring centres.

    It also found that the firm’s approach to telecare customers, disconnecting users who did not engage in the transition, left thousands of vulnerable customers “at a direct risk of harm”.

    The firm reported itself to Ofcom over a series of serious incidents during its migration of telecare customers in November and December 2023.

    Ofcom said the £23.8m penalty reflected the vulnerability of the customers affected, the significant length of time they were left at risk, the seriousness of the breach and the seriousness of the potential harm caused.

    Ofcom’s enforcement director Ian Strawhorne said: “It’s unacceptable that vulnerable customers were put at direct risk of harm and left without appropriate support by Virgin Media, during what should have been a safe and straightforward upgrade to their landline services.

    “Today’s fine makes clear to companies that, if they fail to protect their vulnerable customers, they can expect to face similar enforcement action.”

    Virgin Media said the majority of migrations from landline to digital had been completed “without issue”.

    A spokesperson added: “We recognise that we didn’t get everything right and have since addressed the migration issues identified by Ofcom.

    “Our customers’ safety is always our top priority and, following an end-to-end review which began in 2023, we have already introduced a comprehensive package of improvements and enhanced support for vulnerable customers including improved communications, additional in-home support and extensive post-migration checks, as well as working with the industry and government on a joint national awareness campaign.”



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    TikTok to pay $400m to US in one of largest child privacy settlements

    Stop Hunting, Start Solving: Accelerating Root Cause Analysis with Agentic AI

    Flock Cameras. Canoodling Lawyers. How Much Surveillance Are We Comfortable With?

    OpenAI’s Two-Week Pause + Jill Lepore on the Threat of the “Artificial State” + Train of Thought

    Is Vine back? Short-form video-sharing app Divine opens to public

    How landscape gardening is being electrified

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Pacific nations fail to agree on statement condemning China missile test

    August 7, 2026

    Hugh Jackman And Sutton Foster’s Romance Is Reportedly ‘Going Strong’

    August 19, 2025

    Coco Gauff’s French Open title defense ends in 3rd-round loss

    May 30, 2026

    Invences Provides Smart Telecom Networks to Small Firms

    March 30, 2026

    Cowboys’ Mike McCarthy responds to curious Dak Prescott comments

    December 5, 2024
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    TikTok to pay $400m to US in one of largest child privacy settlements

    August 22, 2026

    Market Talk – August 21, 2026

    August 22, 2026

    Friday Evening Forecast | Headlines Plus

    August 22, 2026

    Inside the $37,000 Private Jet That Flew ‘Let’s Marry Harry’ to Vegas

    August 22, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.