Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Saturday, August 22
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » White House says Iran would be ‘wise’ to take deal amid military buildup | Donald Trump News

    White House says Iran would be ‘wise’ to take deal amid military buildup | Donald Trump News

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefFebruary 19, 2026 Latest News No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt has said Iran would be “wise” to make a deal, as the United States surges further military assets to the Middle East.

    Her statement came as part of a series of veiled threats from officials under US President Donald Trump, a day after US and Iranian representatives held a second round of indirect talks this month.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    The two sides appeared to offer differing accounts of the talks. Iranian officials said both parties had agreed on “guiding principles”, but US Vice President JD Vance said Iran had yet to respond to all of Washington’s “red lines”.

    During a news conference on Wednesday, Leavitt articulated the Trump administration’s position that Iran needs to accede to US demands.

    “Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration,” she told reporters.

    Trump, who has repeatedly threatened Iran with military action in response to its crackdown on protests last month, also referenced a possible escalation in a post on Truth Social on Wednesday.

    The post warned Prime Minister Keir Starmer of the United Kingdom against a deal agreed to last year that would see London cede control of the Chagos Islands, strategically located in the centre of the Indian Ocean.

    The deal nevertheless allows the UK and US to continue to lease and operate a joint airbase on the largest island, Diego Garcia.

    “Should Iran decide not to make a Deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime,” Trump wrote.

    “An attack that would potentially be made on the United Kingdom, as well as other friendly Countries.”

    Meanwhile, speaking from the sidelines of an International Energy Agency (IAE) meeting in Paris, France, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would deter Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons “one way or the other”.

    “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable,” Wright said.

    Military buildup

    The threats come as the US appears to be surging more military assets to the Middle East, raising the spectre of escalation.

    As of Wednesday, the Pentagon had one aircraft carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln, nine destroyers and three littoral combat ships in the region, with an anonymous US official telling the AFP news agency more were on the way.

    That includes the world’s largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R Ford, which is en route from the Atlantic Ocean.

    The US has also sent a large fleet of aircraft to the Middle East, according to open-source intelligence accounts on X and flight-tracking website Flightradar24.

    That deployment appears to include F-22 Raptor stealth fighter jets, F-15 and F-16 warplanes, and the KC-135 aerial refuelling aircraft that are needed to sustain their operations, according to the trackers.

    The US had previously surged aircraft and naval vessels to the region ahead of strikes on three Iranian nuclear sites in June of last year, which came at the end of a 12-day war between Israel and Iran.

    Iran does ‘not want war’

    For his part, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Wednesday that the country did “not want war” but would not give in to US demands.

    “From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be set aside. But if they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?” he asked.

    Pezeshkian spoke shortly after Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps launched exercises on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz, in a show of military might.

    Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has previously warned that any new US strikes would lead to wider regional escalation.

    Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Wednesday that its top diplomat Abbas Araghchi had spoken by phone with the head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog, Rafael Grossi.

    Grossi “stressed the Islamic Republic of Iran’s focus on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks” on its nuclear programme, according to the statement.

    Trump withdrew from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which saw Iran curtail its nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief, during his first term in 2018. In the years since, he has imposed a “maximum pressure” campaign that includes new sanctions.

    Efforts to strike a new nuclear deal have repeatedly stalled since Trump’s first term.

    Tehran has called for the latest round of talks to focus solely on its nuclear programme, which it maintains is used only for civilian purposes. It has also indicated it is willing to make concessions in exchange for the lifting of sanctions.

    Washington has pushed for wider demands that are considered non-starters for Iran, including limits on its ballistic missile programme, although its demands during the latest round of talks were not immediately clear.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Iranian president says time to end war with US from ‘position of strength’ | US-Israel war on Iran News

    Bolivia’s President Rodrigo Paz fires economy minister amid unrest | Business and Economy News

    Argentina’s Paredes gets 10-game ban for World Cup final scuffle with Spain | World Cup News

    Nord Stream bombing suspect to Hollywood fixer: Who is Volodymyr Zhuravlev? | Crime News

    Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

    Taliban release two detained UN staff members in Afghanistan | Human Rights News

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Weak BLS Data And Rate Cuts

    September 8, 2025

    Antonio Banderas Says Ex-Wife Is His ‘Best Friend’

    August 7, 2026

    New York Times sues Perplexity AI for ‘illegal’ copying of content

    December 5, 2025

    Russia seeking to create ‘buffer zones’ in Ukraine, says Kremlin | Russia-Ukraine war News

    July 24, 2025

    Shedeur Sanders may have unique advantage over Deshaun Watson in Browns’ QB competition

    June 12, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    TikTok to pay $400m to US in one of largest child privacy settlements

    August 22, 2026

    Market Talk – August 21, 2026

    August 22, 2026

    Friday Evening Forecast | Headlines Plus

    August 22, 2026

    Inside the $37,000 Private Jet That Flew ‘Let’s Marry Harry’ to Vegas

    August 22, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.