Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Thursday, August 20
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Iran goes on offensive as diplomacy with US stalls

    Iran goes on offensive as diplomacy with US stalls

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefAugust 20, 2026 Trending News No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    IRAN’S CALCULUS

    Diplomatic efforts with the US remain stalled, especially since a Jun 17 truce collapsed and the US reimposed oil sanctions and the blockade on Iranian ports.

    “Iranians believe that diplomacy is doomed to fail in the current climate and that the Americans will not accept their terms,” said Zeidabadi.

    “Consequently, they may feel compelled to resort to offensive action to force the US to accept Iranian conditions … and to initiate a new round of negotiations.”

    Iran suffered heavy losses in the initial bombardment campaign, including the killing of supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and senior military commanders, as well as extensive material and economic damage.

    But the political system has remained intact, and intense bombardment eventually subsided following an Apr 8 ceasefire, apart from sporadic exchanges of fire, particularly in and around Hormuz.

    The war has since spread across the region to include clashes between Saudi Arabia and the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen and the disruption of shipping in the Red Sea’s Bab Bab el-Mandeb strait.

    “Tehran increasingly believes that American military superiority does not give Washington escalation dominance,” said Toossi.

    The Strait of Hormuz has become central to that calculus, with Tehran requiring vessels to seek permission and to pay service fees to transit — a move strongly opposed by Washington and regional countries.

    Reopening the strait has become a US priority.

    US Vice President JD Vance said last week that “goal number one” was keeping energy prices low for Americans, while preventing Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon ranked second.

    A Jun 17 memorandum of understanding between Tehran and Washington that outlined terms for a truce was a far cry from US President Donald Trump’s initial call for Iran’s “unconditional surrender”.

    That truce later collapsed over disagreements primarily over the management of the Hormuz but Iranian officials still tout it as evidence of “victory”.

    “I can state with conviction that we have won this war in the true sense of the word, both militarily and politically,” top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said in a speech last week, while describing the deal as a source of “pride and victory”.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    US national debt exceeds US$40 trillion for first time

    Trump says will meet North Korea’s Kim later this year

    Israeli military launches criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Palestinian paramedics

    Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military

    Trump says US and Canada strike deal, temporarily pauses 50% tariffs

    Commentary: For Iran’s new leaders, peace is more dangerous than war

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    US investigates Harvard’s role in exchange visitor programme

    July 23, 2025

    Bill Gates Isn’t Like Those Other Tech Billionaires

    January 30, 2025

    Former NFL GM sends Rodgers warning to Steelers amid reports

    February 17, 2026

    Warner Bros Discovery explores possible sale | Media News

    October 21, 2025

    ‘Sickening’ Molly Russell and Brianna Ghey chatbots found online

    October 30, 2024
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    Gaining Leadership Backing for Your Innovations

    August 20, 2026

    Will The Diesel Crisis Decide The 2026 Elections?

    August 20, 2026

    Nearly 40,000 Eye Drop Bottles Recalled in US

    August 20, 2026

    Josh Radnor Says ‘HIMYM’ Cast Is No Longer Close

    August 20, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.