Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Friday, May 22
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home»Latest News

    US pausing $14bn arms sale to Taiwan due to Iran war, navy chief says | US-Israel war on Iran News

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefMay 22, 2026 Latest News No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao’s remarks come as US President Donald Trump gives mixed signals on the sale.

    Published On 22 May 202622 May 2026

    A top United States military official has said Washington is pausing a $14bn arms sale to Taiwan to conserve munitions for its war on Iran.

    Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao provided the update to lawmakers during a Senate hearing on Thursday, a week after the weapons sale took centre stage in talks between US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    “Right now, we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury – which we have plenty,” Cao told the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense.

    “But we’re just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary.”

    Cao said any decision to move forward with the sale – which would be the largest ever weapons transfer to Taiwan – would be made by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.

    The war has been paused since the US and Iran agreed to a ceasefire on April 8, but the sides have yet to reach a permanent peace deal.

    The US Congress approved the weapons package for Taiwan in January, but the sale requires Trump’s sign-off to move forward.

    If approved, the sale would surpass a record-breaking $11bn arms package for Taiwan approved by Trump in December.

    Taiwanese Premier Cho Jung-tai told reporters on Friday that Taiwan would continue to pursue arms purchases, according to Taiwanese news outlet FTV News.

    William Yang, senior analyst for northeast Asia at the Crisis Group, said in a social media post that the pause will “exacerbate anxiety and scepticism about US support in Taiwan and make it difficult for the Taiwanese government to request additional defence budget for the foreseeable future”.

    Trump, who has confirmed that he discussed the arms sale with Xi, said last week in an interview with Fox News that he “may” or “may not” approve the package.

    Trump has also suggested that the package could be used as a “negotiating chip” – despite a decades-old precedent against consulting with Beijing on arms sales.

    China claims self-governing Taiwan as part of its territory, and objects to Washington’s ongoing but unofficial support for Taipei.

    The US government does not officially recognise Taiwan but is committed to helping the island to defend itself under the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act, enacted shortly after Washington severed diplomatic ties with Taipei.

    Trump has continued to test the status quo on Taiwan in other ways, saying earlier this week that he would consider speaking to Taiwanese President William Lai Ching-te about the arms deal.

    Such a move would break with four decades of diplomatic protocol against direct talks with the Taiwanese leader and almost certainly provoke an angry response from Beijing.

    Trump held a phone call with former Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen after his 2016 election win, but their talks took place before he was sworn in as president.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Pakistan’s army chief in Iran as US’s Rubio says ‘slight progress’ in talks | US-Israel war on Iran News

    Russia labels Ukraine attack in occupied Luhansk ‘monstrous crime’ | Russia-Ukraine war News

    US deepens European uncertainty with deployment of 5,000 troops to Poland | NATO News

    Over 2,000 gather in San Diego to mourn three men killed in mosque attack | Gun Violence News

    Who are the 10 best FIFA World Cup players of all time? | World Cup 2026

    What’s Trump’s ‘anti-weaponisation fund’ and why are legal experts alarmed? | Crime News

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Musk files to dismiss lawsuit over his purchase of Twitter shares

    August 29, 2025

    Hiring Like Crazy? Ignoring These Processes Could Derail Your Business.

    March 24, 2025

    Punk Attacks Woman With Baby Stroller, Showing Why Subways Don’t Have Fire Extinguishers Anymore | The Gateway Pundit

    December 28, 2024

    Democracy: U.S. needs more political parties

    July 11, 2025

    Russia-Ukraine war: List of key events, day 1,366 | Russia-Ukraine war News

    November 21, 2025
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    Pakistan’s army chief in Iran as US’s Rubio says ‘slight progress’ in talks | US-Israel war on Iran News

    May 22, 2026

    Busch’s No. 8 won’t be raced at Charlotte, number reserved for son

    May 22, 2026

    Trump’s IRS settlement, slush fund are shocking grift

    May 22, 2026

    This free email security scanner pairs perfectly with Gmail or Outlook

    May 22, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.