Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Wednesday, August 19
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » US Supreme Court OKs ExxonMobil lawsuit over Castro-era property seizure | Business and Economy News

    US Supreme Court OKs ExxonMobil lawsuit over Castro-era property seizure | Business and Economy News

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefJune 23, 2026 Latest News No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    The US Supreme Court made it easier for US companies to seek compensation from Cuba’s government for assets seized decades ago.

    Published On 23 Jun 202623 Jun 2026

    The United States Supreme Court has ruled that ExxonMobil can sue Cuban state-owned companies in US courts over property on the island nation that was seized after Fidel Castro took power.

    The 6-3 decision on Tuesday was the second in as many months in favour of US owners of Cuban property that was confiscated by the Communist government more than 65 years ago.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 4 itemsend of list

    The outcome in the two cases could be an additional lever for the administration of US President Donald Trump to exert pressure on Cuba, which is already being squeezed by a US oil embargo.

    At issue was whether the 1996 law known as Helms-Burton removes the shield from lawsuits in US courts that typically cover foreign countries and state-owned businesses. The justices reversed a lower-court ruling that found that the Cuban state-owned companies are immune from lawsuits in US courts.

    The court said a legal defence called foreign sovereign immunity, which generally prohibits US lawsuits against foreign governments and their agents, is not available in cases like the one ExxonMobil brought against Cuban state-owned firm Corporacion CIMEX.

    Conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who authored the ruling, wrote that the 30-year-old federal law eliminates “the sovereign immunity of Cuban agencies and instrumentalities”.

    “The Helms-Burton Act authorizes private suits against Cuban agencies and instrumentalities – suits that would largely be nonstarters if subjected to the FSIA’s requirements,” Kavanaugh wrote, referring to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act of 1976.

    The court’s six conservative justices were in the majority. Justice Elena Kagan wrote a dissent that was joined by the court’s two other liberal members.

    Kagan said that the plaintiffs should be required to show that their suit was exempt from the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, arguing that “nothing in the text or ‘architecture’ of the Helms-Burton Act suggests that Congress abrogated the sovereign immunity of these defendants – much less that it did so with the requisite unmistakable clarity”.

    ExxonMobil is seeking compensation for the confiscation of assets owned by subsidiaries of Standard Oil, ExxonMobil’s predecessor, including more than 100 service stations and an oil refinery.

    More cases

    Last month, the court ruled in another case involving confiscated property in Cuba, reviving claims by the US company that operated docks in Havana against four cruise lines that brought tourists to Cuba during the brief thaw in relations during the administration of former US President Barack Obama. That case turned on the same section of Helms-Burton, allowing lawsuits over seized property.

    Congress passed the law in response to the 1996 downing of civilian planes flown by Miami-based exiles.

    Title III of the law allows Americans to sue almost any company that engages in commercial activity or benefits from property confiscated by Cuba’s government.

    Before the first Trump administration, every president had suspended the provision because of objections from US allies doing business in Cuba and the effect on future negotiated settlements between the US and Cuba.

    But Trump lifted the suspension in 2019, and ExxonMobil filed its lawsuit the same day against CIMEX.

    The US Foreign Claims Settlement Commission, an arm of the Department of Justice, said in 1969 that the value of ExxonMobil’s property in Cuba is $71.6m, plus 6 percent annual interest beginning in 1960. That would be worth about $3bn today, plus treble damages.

    In addition, the commission found that nearly 6,000 individuals and businesses held claims worth $1.9bn, before adding in interest or damages.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri | Football News

    South Africa to Australia: Why coal profits are surging during Iran war | Energy News

    US, Canada reach trade deal to avert steep tariffs, Trump says | Business and Economy News

    Bolivia arrests political adviser to Latin American right-wingers | Crime News

    The British state has recast protest as terrorism | Israel-Palestine conflict

    Russia protests Japan PM’s comments after Putin’s Kuril visit | News

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    The War On Crypto Was Always About Control

    May 5, 2026

    Will a ‘Santa rally’ bring good cheer to the stock market next week? Here’s what analysts say

    December 20, 2025

    German leader says US strategy shows the need for more European security independence

    December 9, 2025

    Hezbollah boycotts cabinet session over Iran ambassador expulsion

    March 26, 2026

    Opinion | Trump’s Positive Thinking Won’t End This War

    April 2, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    OpenAI slows down training of advanced AI after cyber-attack

    August 19, 2026

    South Korea Wants Military Independence — Good, Let Them Pay For It

    August 19, 2026

    Lucille Ball’s 1943 Classic Debuted 83 Years Ago

    August 19, 2026

    Marc Jacobs Wants To Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione For Trial

    August 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.