Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Wednesday, August 19
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Taiwan opposition backs over US$11 billion for US arms, but no ‘blank cheque’

    Taiwan opposition backs over US$11 billion for US arms, but no ‘blank cheque’

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefMarch 5, 2026 Trending News No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    TAIPEI: Taiwan’s main opposition party said on Thursday (Mar 5) it will back more than US$11 billion in special funding for US weapons purchases and left the door open to more acquisitions, but insisted it will not write a “blank cheque” for the government.

    Taiwan has spent billions upgrading its defences as China increases military pressure on the island, which Beijing claims is part of its territory and has threatened to seize by force.

    Under US pressure to spend more, Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te’s government has proposed US$40 billion in funding for critical defence purchases, including US arms, over eight years.

    But the Kuomintang (KMT) and the Taiwan People’s Party (TPP), which together control parliament, have stalled Lai’s proposal and instead drawn up their own stripped-down versions of the spending bill.

    The KMT said it proposed allocating more than US$11 billion to cover the cost of US arms sales announced in December and pledged to review further weapons purchases once they were approved by US Congress.

    The KMT initially announced “NT$350 billion + n” in proposed spending, but hours later increased that to “NT$380 billion + n” without offering a clear explanation for the change.

    “CONTRADICTIONS”

    The TPP previously proposed US$12.6 billion for military purchases. The three spending bills will be sent to a parliamentary committee for review on Friday.

    “We hope to advance arms procurement through a phased, concrete, and clearly defined approach, rather than granting a one-off authorisation, a blank cheque with no spending cap and no detailed content,” KMT caucus secretary-general Jonathan Lin told reporters.

    “Such an arrangement ensures efficiency while upholding procedural justice, enabling the public to clearly understand the necessity and rationality of each additional expenditure.”



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Trump says will meet North Korea’s Kim later this year

    Israeli military launches criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Palestinian paramedics

    Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military

    Trump says US and Canada strike deal, temporarily pauses 50% tariffs

    Commentary: For Iran’s new leaders, peace is more dangerous than war

    US stocks drop again as bond yields jump

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Roki Sasaki makes unusual request of his MLB suitors

    January 1, 2025

    5 Things to Know About the US Strikes on Iran

    July 12, 2025

    Opinion | Trump Explodes Out of the Gate

    January 27, 2025

    Why singing, dancing and engaging with art is good for your health

    January 23, 2026

    Trump’s Energy Pick, a Fracking Executive, Could Stymie Renewable Development

    November 19, 2024
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    81,000 warning letters sent to crypto holders in HMRC tax crackdown

    August 19, 2026

    The Bond Crisis | Armstrong Economics

    August 19, 2026

    Xos Inc Stock Surges 69% in Pre-Market Trading

    August 19, 2026

    Ayla Bell Admits Why She Dodges an Awkward Job Question

    August 19, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.