Close Menu
    National News Brief
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
    • Business
    • Lifestyle
    • Science
    • Technology
    • International
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Sports
    National News Brief
    Home » Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

    Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

    Team_NationalNewsBriefBy Team_NationalNewsBriefAugust 21, 2026 Latest News No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    Activist group says the ‘twisted’ Hong Kong judicial system had long ago decided that the pair were guilty.

    Published On 21 Aug 202621 Aug 2026

    A Hong Kong court has found two pro-democracy activists guilty on national security charges in a trial widely viewed as exemplifying the erosion of freedom of expression in the Chinese city.

    Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, former leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, were found guilty of “incitement to subversion” for their role in organising candlelit vigils to mark Beijing’s deadly 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, in a Hong Kong court on Friday. The two had pleaded not guilty and were charged in 2021.

    Recommended Stories

    list of 3 itemsend of list

    The pair could face up to 10 years in jail. Sentencing is expected at a later date.

    Prosecutors argued that the pair “endanger[ed] national security in the name of human rights”.

    Chow, a human rights barrister who represented herself, told the court in May that the law itself was on trial.

    Friday’s verdict was “no surprise”, said Mark Clifford, president of the Committee for Freedom in Hong Kong Foundation.

    Hong Kong’s “twisted” judicial system had already decided the pair were guilty in 2021, he said. He described Lee and Chow as “true Chinese patriots” who were silenced because they “spoke truth to power” and “held up a mirror to the Chinese Communist Party”.

    Pro-democracy activists Lee Cheuk-yan, left, Cheung Man-kwong and Chow Hang-tung, centre right, at a 2019 vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre. [File: REUTERS/Tyrone Siu]
    Pro-democracy activists, from left, Lee Cheuk-yan, Cheung Man-kwong and Chow Hang-tung, attend a 2019 vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre [File: Tyrone Siu/Reuters]

    Hong Kong’s crackdown

    For three decades, the candlelight vigil organised by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the Tiananmen crackdown, drawing tens of thousands of people annually to mourn the victims in China. The event was banned in 2020 during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, weeks before Beijing imposed the security law on Hong Kong to quell the 2019 massive antigovernment protests.

    The alliance’s leaders have been behind bars since they were charged.

    Chow and Lee “exposed the Chinese government’s fears of the memory of its own atrocities”, Elaine Pearson, Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said, urging governments around the world to hold Beijing to account for erasing Hong Kong’s freedoms.

    Earlier this year, Jimmy Lai, 78, a media mogul and high-profile rights campaigner in Hong Kong, was found guilty on national security charges and sentenced to 20 years behind bars.

    Led ‘like a dog on a lead’

    In a personal blog published in the days leading up to the verdict, Chow detailed her treatment by correctional services, in which she described being led “like a dog on a lead”, shackled at the wrists, waist and ankles.

    She described a new method of restraint, with specialised handcuffs, as the source of significant pain during her long detention: “One can only ‘choose’ which part of the body shall suffer in turn” due to the bodily contortions forced by the restraints she has been held in.

    Chow is one of the few high-profile political prisoners detained in Hong Kong to continue to speak out publicly against the authorities.

    In June 1989, China’s government sent tanks and soldiers to crush a pro-democracy movement that had installed itself in Beijing’s central Tiananmen Square. Hundreds, possibly thousands, of people were killed by soldiers, and many were injured. Beijing has since sought to censor mention of the incident in China.



    Source link

    Team_NationalNewsBrief
    • Website

    Keep Reading

    Taliban release two detained UN staff members in Afghanistan | Human Rights News

    Brook makes Pakistan pay for dropped catch as England dominate first Test | Cricket News

    ‘Tremendous costs’: Can Trump stop other countries from trading with Iran? | US-Israel war on Iran News

    State-backed Israeli settler violence forces West Bank displacement: HRW | News

    Russian forces kill 6 in Ukraine as Zelenskyy faces pressure over elections | Russia-Ukraine war News

    Pentagon quizzes NATO allies on political loyalty, documents reveal | NATO News

    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Editors Picks

    Four new astronauts arrive at the International Space Station to replace NASA’s evacuated crew

    February 14, 2026

    Amanda Bynes Flaunts Her Fresh Lip Injections In New Video

    August 24, 2025

    The Seattle Times editorial board recommends: Vote ‘no’ on democracy vouchers’ renewal

    July 26, 2025

    AI godfather Yann LeCun to leave Meta and start own firm

    November 21, 2025

    DNC releases 2024 autopsy, with chair apologizing for ‘creating an even bigger distraction’

    May 21, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    About us

    Welcome to National News Brief, your one-stop destination for staying informed on the latest developments from around the globe. Our mission is to provide readers with up-to-the-minute coverage across a wide range of topics, ensuring you never miss out on the stories that matter most.

    At National News Brief, we cover World News, delivering accurate and insightful reports on global events and issues shaping the future. Our Tech News section keeps you informed about cutting-edge technologies, trends in AI, and innovations transforming industries. Stay ahead of the curve with updates on the World Economy, including financial markets, economic policies, and international trade.

    Editors Picks

    Is Vine back? Short-form video-sharing app Divine opens to public

    August 21, 2026

    The Strait Of Hormuz Is Repricing The Entire World Economy

    August 21, 2026

    Manning Follows Family Tradition With High School Football Debut

    August 21, 2026

    Tom Cruise Seeks ‘Face-To-Face’ Chat with Ex-Wife Nicole Kidman

    August 21, 2026
    Categories
    • Arts & Entertainment
    • Business
    • International
    • Latest News
    • Lifestyle
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Science
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Top Stories
    • Trending News
    • World Economy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms and Conditions
    • About us
    • Contact us
    Copyright © 2024 Nationalnewsbrief.com All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.